For so many of us, we would be so much better off if only our eyes and our faces did the speaking and our tongues remained both tied and tamed.
#tameyourtongue #letyoureyesspeak #somuchbetterthanwordsthatkill #scarlettoharalessons #gonewiththewind #speaklife or #holdyourtongue
Too few of us would dare to profess we have completely mastered the art of speech that always and only continually edifies, encourages, or brings correction in a gentle and loving manner. This should be the goal and desire of all of us to speak the truth in love, or let our words be few, rather than our tongues being a spout to spew ugliness all over others.
…If you could find someone whose speech was perfectly true, you’d have a perfect person, in perfect control of life…The Message – James 3:2
Here are the thoughts that burst into my brain upon viewing this pic of the tenacious character of “Scarlett O’Hara”:
- Better to let your eyes do the cutting rather than your words.
- Your eyes may give subtle clues that the thoughts churning within your head are desperate to deliver a message, but your tongue clearly reveals the state of your mind and your heart. Out of the heart, the mouth speaks (Jesus, Matthew 12:34).*
- Here’s how the progression works:
- you see it,
- you think and dwell on it,
- it becomes embedded within your heart,
- & then you speak it out of your mouth.
- Later, your talk becomes your walk – your daily lifestyle.
- Your life becomes a reflection of all your eyes, mind, and heart continually focus on.
- Therefore, guard your eye gate.
- I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar …(Psalm 101:3)
- Focus your mind on what is good, true, pure and lovely.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8)
- Guard your heart, for out of it flow all the issues you are presently dealing with in your life.
- Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life. (Proverbs 4:23)
- SPEAK the truth in love and SAY only that which is helpful and/or builds others up, or…
- Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. (Ephesians 4:15)
- Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. (Ephesians 4:29)
- …REMAIN SILENT and FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE! –
- Understand this my brothers and sisters: you must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. James 1:19
- Like the old saying, “If you can’t say something good, then don’t say anything at all!” “Good” in this sense can include correction, but spoken with respect and kindness for whomever is on the receiving end.